RBP is seeking an an experienced mechanic who can teach bike repair as well as help with a wide range of shop activities.This is an opportunity to become a part of a group of motivated individuals who aim to make an large impact on the cyclingcommunity in Reno through educating and encouraging cyclist.
BICYCLE MECHAINC/EDUCATOR – 30H/WEEK
ABOUT RENO BIKE PROJECT
Reno Bike Project (RBP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community bicycle shop and advocacy group committed to creating a nationally recognized, cycling-friendly community through advocacy, education, and cooperation in the Truckee Meadows. Since our inception in 2006, RBP has grown from a basement operation to a full cycling community center and advocacy group. We are constantly striving to achieve our mission of getting more people on bikes, and last year alone we distributed over 1,000 bikes back into the community through our shop and various programs. We sell used bikes, used and new parts, and have public workstations that provide affordable access to the tools and expertise cyclists need to maintain their own bikes.
This is not your typical Mechanic position in your typical shop. This job consists of two major roles; fixing bikes and teaching others to fix bikes, but you may be asked to assist with a wide scope of activities and you will be required to wear many different hats. We serve a wide range of people from bicycle hobbyist to college students to Reno’s homeless population in repairing their bicycles, answering questions and other general customer service duties. You will be required to conduct repairs to the highest quality on a wide range of bicycles since we work on bikes of all varieties and ages. We feel that the repairs we carry out on our customers’ bikes represent us as a shop; therefore any repair should be completed to the best of your ability.
Besides operating a full service repair shop our organization is committed to helping people learn about bicycle repair/maintenance and offers 6 public workstations that are available during open hours for the public to utilize our tools and the knowledge of our staff to repair their own bike. People from all walks of life and skill levels use our shop to fix their bikes and sometimes that can be a challenge so patience and a good attitude are mandatory attributes for this job. If you don’t deal with people well do not apply. But if you enjoy helping people one to one and wish help provide our community with a valuable resource this might be the job for you.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Perform bicycle repair, maintenance, and walk-in services on customers’ bicycles as needed.
- Deliver professional, accessible, and helpful customer service to a diverse customer base.
- Support daily bike shop operations.
- Responsible for properly taking in all service work including correctly filling out service work orders, scheduling an appropriate amount of repairs and completing those repairs in a timely manner.
- Advise and assist customers with their product selection without bias.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and expertise of all merchandise in the shop to effectively assist customers with accurate information.
- Assist with bike sales and any other bike floor duties as needed.
- Maintain a clean and safe workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the bike shop manager.
- Help with shop maintenance and construction projects.
The candidate we seek will possess:
- Excellent mechanical skills required (minimum two years hands-on, professional bike shop experience).
- Strong customer service skills.
- A self-directed, energetic, flexible and personable attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment and the ability to work some weekends and holidays to support business needs.
COMPENSATION: Negotiable depending on skill level and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send Resume to email@example.com or drop it at our shop at 541 E. 4th Street Reno, NV.